IIM Possible

It’s been some time since I’ve blogged, and there’s good reason behind that .With my work load reaching an all time high akin to the stock market in recent times,I had little time to focus.

The past two months or so had also been well invested in tackling the next sequel of Mission Impossible, and at the end of it all, the result has been pleasant.

After years of toil and effort that were targeted to achieve a single goal,I finally find myself knocking at the doorstep of my milestone – the Indian Institute of Management.

India, a land of superfluous population has a billion people aspiring for a common pool of resources, that are as few in number as the rain drops in the Sahara Desert. And one of these resources is the coveted IIM that appeals to the aspirations of many,like you and me.

My aunt made a good statement the other day. She said, “People are best at telling others what to do, what they themselves actually are poor at”. It did make me think. The BCCI selectors, the politicians of India, bosses in general - the list is endless.

Off late, even as “kya aap paanchvi paas se tez hai” had me stumped on many questions, I began to wonder if my IQ had indeed been erased like Nirupa Roy’s eyesight in the movie “Amar, Akbar, Anthony”. But some solace arrived with the news that the watchman at the IIM gate finally decided to let me in, having found me waiting for long.

I actually have mixed feelings right now. I am not jumping around like a Kangaroo high on Foster beer, but yes, it feels good, that the tide has finally turned in my favor - better late than never. I also realize that the night outs with friends, the movies at Satyam, Center Stage and Forum that I missed out on, did not go in vain.

One thing I’ve discovered is that the world is not run by the IITians and the IIMites. But yes, it is rare to find an IITian or an IIMite who had not made the world run. And I feel blessed to be bestowed with the opportunity to have been the 750 odd people (50% of the 1500 odd seats across 7 IIMs belonging to the General category) to have made it to the finish line, out of the applicant pool of over 2.5 lakh.

But as they say, even if you end up victorious in a rat race, you still end up being a rat. What I am trying to do is to be a little different among rats akin to “Pinky and the brain” who decide new ways on taking over the world, every night.

This is a new beginning and this is just the beginning. And I am up to the challenge. My confidence is high and my optimism is at its peak. The fragrance of success smells sweet.

But as Asha Bhosle put it very nicely after one of her performances, “Shohorat ki Bulandi bhi Ek pal ka tamasha hai, jis dal par baithe ho, who kabhi bhi toot sakta hai” – The Pinnacle of success is just a passing moment, for, the branch you are sitting on, can break any time.

So, I am pretty much the same guy - who loves humor, who enjoys long rides on his bike and some good music after a long day at work and one who believes that life should never be lived seriously, for it would never be worth living in that case. And I will continue being so.

I will be moving to IIM Shillong, and yes it’s official now. I will get to explore one of the most blessed regions of the Indian Sub continent, the North East. The next two years in the lap of Nature are going to be breathtakingly adventurous. And at the end of the 2 year “Discovery of India” I will also end up with a degree in Management from the IIM, and so, the add-on of the vacation is quite appealing.

I promise to post more on my experiences in the "Scotland of the East", once I get there.

Till then, I find inspiration in the words of Robert Bruce who said "Try, Try till you succeed" and that of Robert Frost who said, “I have miles to go before I sleep”.....

Category: , ,  
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
3 Responses
  1. gravatar Anonymous

    Congrats Ashu...

  2. gravatar Anonymous

    Yes dude..You really deserve it...
    Congrats!!
    And yes, 'm looking fwd to those posts...

    Karthik

  3. gravatar Anonymous

    congrats ashutosh! it's been two years since i last read your blog, and its great to hear abt IIM. Congratulations! Have a great time!
    -Sabita