Yeh hai Blogistan Meri Jaan...

With the increasing reach of the internet by the day, logs of a lot of people have popped up all over the web, and these web logs are called “blogs”, was the definition I read on Sir Google (yes, I have decided to honor Google with knighthood for its immense contribution to society) about 2 years ago.

Something interesting! I thought to myself, even as I was looking for a hassle free way of maintaining my pieces of writing, experiences etc. And what better than have a group of friends read, review and critique your work, without requiring the all passive e mail exchange.

The past two years have been a great eye opener for me and the blog world never stops to amaze me with the plethora of opportunities that it presents.

Incidentally, I received a group e mail at the work place that normally most colleagues redirect to the “junk” folder even without reading the same. The topic of the post caught my attention – “B.L.O.G” workshop, it read. I’ve always found that the vastness of the internet is infinite (think about it – it’s true) and thought I’d pick up a few tips for myself.

We assembled at quarter to 3 in a seminar hall that resembled that of “Shaakal” in one of the “I-saw-it-when-I-was-a-kid” movies, dimly lit except for the few Charlie’s angels (read the ladies from HR) who lined the periphery.

Then all of a sudden, we had Amit Verma walking in to deliver a talk on the Blogger’s workshop. Nope! I suddenly realized that I had dozed off and hence hallucinated that it was Amit Verma speaking to me. I had a rude shock when I found our very own JM to whom I could put a face after a long time. ( He's not that bad! :))

A jolly good fellow! -is what Bugs Bhargava (the English teacher in Taare Zameen Par) would have commented had he seen JM. The frail JM sporting his employee ID on a steel necklace around his neck (rather than the customary colored tags) made his way to the dais, as we prepared ourselves for DBPP (Death by Powerpoint).

The light hearted dude that he is, JM used Calvin and Hobbes across the entire presentation, thus giving all we intellectually challenged IT junta, a reason to smile. The smart comments from Calvin, who found expression through JM, the inquisitive audience and the dungeoned conference room, presented a perfect setting for discussion over a cup of steaming coffee.

Gyan flowed like alcohol as it did in the campaign phase of the Karnataka elections, and the audience was soon found grappling with terminologies like – twitter, micro blogging, tag, crawler, css , blogspot and the like.

120 minutes of back to back gyan soon gave way to some interesting anecdotes that both the participants and the speaker had to share, and even as the hard talk continued, I had to excuse myself to attend the all important French language class that was to begin in a while.

All in all a great session for those who wanted to get into blogging, and it also presented lots of information even for the veterans at the art.

A detailed slide share of the presentation can be had at JM’s site.

Whatever said and done, the theme that is revolutionizing the world of “web 2.0” is “Yeh hai Blogistan, Meri Jaan”…..

 
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
2 Responses
  1. gravatar Anonymous

    wow.. ROTFLOL after reading it ..

    Great guts to comment on the HR ladies. Hats-off to u ..

    This makes it the second write up on the workshop ...