Dil Haara Re…

It’s 2 in the morning. There is a cacophony of voices around me. While Enrique croons “Bailamos” for the 21st time in the last 20 minutes, footfalls as graceful as those of Shiamak Dawar’s dance troupe (ok I agree I was paid to include this analogy in the post) are observed on the 8x8 dance floor hosting the 4 couples practicing for tomorrow evening’s performance.

Boasting of one of the best male:female ratios among all IIMs, it was pretty easy to find the perfect 8 who would be performing on stage. Btw, SK had a sprain in the back owing to the IPL Kricket Kopda Kup last week and had to opt out of the race. And SK’s loss was NB’s gain.

Ok, I am no pundit to comment on the nuances of various dance forms, but, having watched enough of Bollywood Jalwa, my ability to critique performances is as good as that of Navjot Singh Sidhu’s knowledge of fielding.

A look at my Orkut profile will let you know of my dancing prowess. I’ve trained under Prabhu Deva’s Dhobi and burnt the dance floor thrice so far, but all three have been as adhoc as U235 atoms released during a nuclear fission reaction – the performances were mostly in corporate parties where most people were too high to notice how well I was dancing.

Sorry for the digression – Back in the practice arena, the stage is flavored with the forms of salsa, meringue, jive and the traditional Bollywood hip hop. I am forced to wonder if the medley could be interchanged to include Bailamos with the steps of the Tamil song “Appadi Podu Podu” – a perfect combination indeed.

And what’s my role in this whole thing? I am serving the dual role of a radio jockey (Ok, I kind of over glorified the role of pressing the play and stop buttons on the laptop :() and that of a camera man whose videos are serving the noble cause of providing valuable feedback to the performers.

With the practice all set to continue through the night, I don’t think my role as a local PCO operator is going to end soon.

As a reward for this unenviable role of mine, SG decided to perform a few salsa steps with a lot of reluctance though. My deepest gratitude to the first girl who provided me with the opportunity to dance with her, after 25 years of my existence on this planet.

As Milton put it, “They also serve who only stand and wait”….

All the best to JC,NB,SK,SG,SR,SS,TP and MP for their performance tomorrow.
Till next time, bring on “Dil Haara Re

P.S. - I was threatened not to publish any snaps of the practice for reasons best known to the performers. ;)

 
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
3 Responses
  1. good to see u active on blog..
    hope u'll get to perform soon :)

  2. you are funny!!! lets see some pics of you dancing!!!

  3. gravatar Anonymous

    By the way Dude, in order for U235 to be released in a fission you have to have an atom with atomic number that is around 470, which does not exist i believe. Lets see if you can guess who made this comment.