Are there Elections in Tamil Nadu???


Every Morning, I am generally woken up from my "Mungeri laal ke haseen sapney" by three alarms. The first one is a dove-eyed (no, not a doe eyed Bengali girl) it's a dove eyed dove.... that comes up to my window sill at 5:30 a.m. and goes "Gutr-goo", and i feel like one of those Amar Chitra Kathas where my beautiful princess is transformed into a doe by some magician.

I get up from bed, startled, look at the dove-eyed dove and ask it in the face -"What's your problem in life?" cant you allow a poor(not so poor) IT guy like me to
even sleep in peace. After all, I need to save the world's computers before they are taken over by the Illuminati (pardon the irrelevance, I just finished reading "Angels and Demons" recently) and you dove-eyed doves, just go flying from place to place as mesengers of peace like Indian Diplomats who find no better reason to hitch a free trip on "Sarkari Kharcha". The doe flies off with a grin on its face that it has stalled a competitor's tapasya for world peace...

I get back into my sleep and try dreaming about the doe-eyed Bengali Girl, and forty minutes later the girl of my dreams starts speaking in Tamil... Dreams are always like this, I say to myself and try to sleep, but her Tamil is improving by the second and and..... she is transformed into "Amma"..[Jayalalitha]. I wake up with a rude shock, only to realize blaring music coming from one of the many ubiquitous loud speakers installed on every gettable space in the street.

I realize it's election season and try stuffing cotton into my ears but it's of no use...Amma grows larger than Life and Captain and Karunanidhi are close behind. Before I can decipher which leader happened to align with which party, my Nokia 6610 gives me the "supposed-to-be" wake up call at 7:00 a.m.

I reluctantly wake up, grab the newspaper only to find promises, promises and more promises all the way.. "Rice for Rs 2/kg when Ration shops sell spoilt rice for Rs. 4/kg", " Free Color TVs where there is no power to view them", are just two of the oxymorons in the state.

A programme on NDTV, had Uma Sudhir travel to the remote parts of the state, asking people what they feel. While some said they wanted to return the Tsunami gratitude of the ruling paty, others wanted to vote for their favourite film star who promised to eliminate the bad guys, just as he did in his movies. WOW! we still continue to be a land of emotional people who continue to get conned by power hungry politicians.

One of the questions asked to an Octogenarian was "Whom would you vote for?" and she coyly replies: "Amma"..and on asking why, she replies non chalantly "Does it make a difference at all?" very true indeed.

While some portray Jayalalithaa as the champion of women empowerment, others just feel the DMK should get a chance owing to anti-incumbency. And who ever forgot the young brigade of Lok Paritraan?They also are in the fray.

While political relationships continue to get forged, with opportunistic politics ruling the roost, it's to be seen who has the last laugh in the state elections....

Now, back to sleep..It's been enough dose of doves,beautiful gals and AMMA...ZZzzzz...>

 
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
2 Responses
  1. Isn't the doe you are referring to spelt as Dove? and the Doe refers to a female deer? Did you do it for the rhyme? or am I being too critical? If so...tell and I shall the stop! :)

  2. U are actually right dear...i am going back to the book of animals and taking a crash course on the bears and the bees...errata acknowledged...lol