December 20, 1982.

Here I am, turning a new leaf in the book of life. Ah! So clichéd, isn’t it? I am not supposed to divulge the details of my age on by birthday, as in the opening line of the post, but then, as my boss claims, I am like Shahid Afridi, whose age never goes beyond 17.

All said and done, neither am I famous cricketer, nor do I have enough hair to model for Head and Shoulders. But, then again, I can at least speak English. Period.

Birthdays have been something I’ve always cherished from the days I said “A for Asafoetida, and B for Bandopadhyay” instead of Apple and bat, and Mom knew that I was a born genius. Post this Archimedean discovery, mom invited Chunnu, Munnu, Rita, Lavanya, Raj, Salim, Jobey, and their parents to my birthday party to showcase the latest talent in the colony. As in the Hindi movies, when the time came for me to perform, a proclamation of “Nach Basanti Nach” followed, but I was so zapped eating sugar candies that I forgot how to perform, and ever since, I haven’t had cakes as a punishment for what mom had to face.

Colour dress in school, distributing chocolates, celebrity status for a day (which meant getting away with the meanest of things ), the caps, the food, the musical chairs, the cartoon films, the mess around the place – wow, that was some merriment. Gathering gifts and waiting for guests to leave, so that the contents could be revealed, was the most awaited moment. The 24 hours meant so much that you would not want to lose a single second since the wait of 364 days was quite taxing and the countdown, equally exciting.

Back to the present.

The last two weeks, I’ve led life like a “fragile handle with care” package thrown into a goods wagon of Indian Railways originating from Kakinada enroute Billimora. I have been tossed, bruised, badgered at work and have resembled “Tom” walloped by Jerry. I skipped meals (atleast one per day) and almost fainted in office like the Heroine’s mother in the Hindi movies after uttering, “Beti, yeh tune kya kar diya, khandan ki izzat ko mitti mein mila diya”.VM saved the day with Glucon D. Thanks V.

But yesterday, Dhandha thoda manda tha, and I finally got time for myself. My parents arrived in saddi dilli courtesy: X mas vacation and I drove down to Delhi to spend time with moi aunt, so that the Big day could be welcomed with the associated ado. I wish to be modest, and my celebration included, home made food that I have longed to eat in the past two weeks, as a much desired substitute to bread and butter.

Today has been a blast of a day thus far, with calls from friends, nice messages, and some greeting cards. I am thankful to Life for the acquaintances, and It’s these nice and often crazy moments with friends that you cherish, for, "those who matter don’t mind, and those who mind, don’t matter!”
I’ve gifted myself a Bajaj Pulsar, with the digital meter and sleek tail lamps, and how I got it would be a story for a rainy mushy day. Till then I am trying to figure out whether the gear mechanism on the bike is all gears down or vice versa.

Adios, let’s go party tonight!!

P.S. – This blog is based on a special request by P.A. from Pune. Here you go , Poo :)

 
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
4 Responses
  1. gravatar Anonymous

    Congrats on your new bike :).

  2. gravatar Anonymous

    Reading the first part about childhood birthday parties brought back all the old memories. Especially the part about "One day celebrity status" and "getting away with the meanest of things". And everytime i used to watch a hindi movie with the mom beating her daughter up for...you know what, i used to wonder "why is the old lady hitting her, instead of getting her married on time" It never struck me that a guy was involved in ...you know what.

    Girish

  3. ah! those were the days!! nice read.

    Happy Birthday again dearie! :)
    n hey Congrats on u're bike!

    I had expected you to update your blog more often now that you r in Delhi...

  4. gravatar Anonymous

    So u had a good celebration on ur birthday with home food. It reminds me of our transition- in school days: chocolates and post cards; in college: cutting cake especially smearing it on the birthday baby and bakery treats and finally now: sms,e-mails and lunch treats. Of course,gifts from friends and snaps are always there on birthdays! Birthdays will always be everyone's special day.