A World of their Own?


A sunny morning, it once was,
When a couple came knocking by,
Looking, they were, for a place to stay,
When many in the process had turned them away...

Like others, I refused them permission
Having in my mind a lot of apprehension,
They still persisted in any case,
Till I slammed the window in their face.

I forgot about them, but few days later,
I was woken up by the couple’s banter
Without my knowing, They had forced their way
And were lodged in my house to my dismay.

Out, Out , I cried aloud : He said:
Please my friend don’t make a sound,
I am expecting my children to see the world,
Once they arrive I shall leave your surround.

Alright, I said in a grumpy voice,
But make sure they don’t make a noise,
For I am a man who likes my peace
And no one takes the space within my reach

Days passed and so did the seasons,
The couple smiled, for they had a reason,
The little ones, into the world had made their foray,
But before long their world was in disarray.

As I sat resting by my chair,
Fell something as soft as a hare,
The little one lay on the ground,
With the whole world spinning around.

My heart cried out for the little pigeon in pain
For he fell from the attic like a drop of rain,
In his quest for flight, the little one had died,
My feathered tenants who saw this deeply cried.

That was the instant that I realized,
That humans though are highly priced
Lack the basic trait of simplicity,
How far would they go in this world of hypocrisy ???

- Ashu

 
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
3 Responses
  1. Nice. That was so touching! When I lived in Chennai we had a pigeon family living in my balcony...after they had their babies they got very busy and noisy that my mom stopped opening the balcony door but to feed them...and like in your poem only one baby survived of the three and it was really sad for me to see....These are some times that makes me realize how strong the "Survival of the Fitest" law is...

  2. @anu: yes anu, that's very true.Life is all about the fittest...

  3. gravatar Shayanika

    Its beautiful...Truly a day in our lives when basking in the morning winter sunshine, listening to the purring birdies lit up the rest of lives ahead for years to come!Aah the bane of civilization!!