Kaali Bari in Chennai




On my last visit to Kolkata four years ago, I had the opportunity of visiting Dakshineshwar, the temple for Goddess Kali, built Shri Ramakishna Paramahamsa when he was meditating on the banks of the Hoogly. The Courtesy of my visit: Debashis Dam, my college chum.

Yesterday, I had the good fortune of paying a visit to Kali Bari, ( translated: the home of Goddess Kali) at Umapathy street, Mambalam in Chennai.

I believe I have explored Chennai more than what I have done in my home town Bangalore.

I was accompanying Sandeep Mukherjee, a colleague of mine who is a regular visitor to the temple.

The architecture closely resembled that of the original temple at Kolkata.

I was welcomed by people exchangnig pleasantaries in Bengali, much of which I could not comprehend.

The environs are really well maintained and the cool breeze at dusk made my heart go lighter.The idol of the goddess was awe-inspiring.

The Pundit was away for sometime and Sandeep took that time in explaining the story behind the form of Goddess Kali.

" When the population of demons started to rise exponentially, Goddess Parvathi took the form of Kali Ma in order to slay the danavas and rid the earth of their wrath. She used to kill 108 demons everyday and return to Her abode only to continue with the activity day after day relentlessly. In order to restore the balance between good and evil the devatas requested Her to stop the task but Kali Ma refused. The only person whose words she would heed to, were that of Her husband,Shivji. So, that night after Ma returned to her dwelling place, Shiv ji came and lay just outside the threshold of that place. Next morning when Ma was about to set out on Her mission, She inadverently stepped on Shiv ji not knowing that He was there. At this instant, She bit her tongue owing to the mistake that She had just committed, and immediately took the Shanti roop. This roop of Devi Ma is worshipped in temples."

Meanwhile the priest returned and we had the opportunity to witness the evening Aarti. The gongs and the bells reverberated in the background while the light of the lamps glorified the Goddess further.The customary prasad was distributed which was followed by the pradakshinas around the sanctum sanctorum.

The confluence of the calmness of the mind and the oneness of God's supremity was evident.

I then left for office post that, as I had to attend a client call at 9 p.m.

I thanked Sandeep Dada for the unexpected yet mentally satisfying darshan.

The visit was remiscent of the one to Chamundi Hills near Mysore, which I had visited a child.


As they say in the scriptures,

Tena Vinaa Trinamapi Na Chalate|

Without (His)God's will, not even a blade of grass moves.

Jai Maata Di.

 
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
1 Response
  1. Hey Ashu,

    Cool dude, you have seen more of Chennai than I ever will in spite of having lived there for more than eleven years...Maybe I just took the city for granted ignoring all the beauty it had to offer...